Gambling with God

When God said,
"All in",
I called His
bluff because
I had a
full house.

As I put all my chips
in the pot, I
decided to ask God
a question that's
been bothering
me for a long time.

I asked, "God,
I understand why
You destroyed the cities
of Sodom and Gomorrah.
But why,"
asked I,
"did you deliver a deluge that drowned
my quiet little provincial town,
when the souls of my townsfolk
are not even half as dirty
as the caramel-brown
filthy floodwaters (filled
with the wastes
and urine of all urban
life forms) You
sent to sink their spirits
and float their furniture?
Why must you
destroy those who
don't deserve to die?"

To which God
answered, "Because
life is like
poker. You
never know
what you're
going to get."

And with that, God
smiled, showed
His hand
(a straight flush),
and then
claimed all the chips
as spoils of victory,
while I just
sat silently and stared into space.


*inspired by The Great Flood of '09, 26 Sep 2009

Sting Lacson

A writer. By degree and by profession. Also strongly advocates ten-finger typing to all writers because that's what you do for a living, so be efficient at it.

No comments :

My Literary Side

"The Words come from the Divine; from the Muse the Idea. The Poet merely transcribes." ┼Old Sumerian proverb

(Kidding, I made that up. LOL)

Translate

Followers